Dr. Mary Wiese Gundelach has dedicated her entire professional career to Lutheran education. Upon graduation from Concordia University Nebraska, Mary worked as an elementary teacher, serving Lutheran schools in Evansville, Indiana, and San Diego, California. In 1959, she was appointed Dean of Women at Concordia College, Austin, Texas. At the same time, she continued working toward a degree in art at the University of Texas, Austin, and established the art program on the Concordia campus.
In 1966, Mary moved to Oakland, California, to study sculpture and painting at California College of the Arts and established the art program at Concordia High School and College in Oakland. When the college division was closed, she continued as principal of the high school until 1978. After her marriage to Charles Gundelach, she moved to the San Francisco Peninsula where she taught art at Bethany Lutheran School in Menlo Park and later became principal there.
Mary has served on a number of boards of directors including Wheat Ridge Ministries as Vice Chair, Concordia Nebraska Foundation, and the Peninsula Symphony Association as chair. She has served at First Lutheran Church in Palo Alto, directing the Adult Forum, and as a member of the church council.
Mary currently resides in Atherton, California. Her husband, Charles, was called to eternal life in 1990.